Port Angeles, Wash.
– The Port Angeles School District presents “Wired Differently – What Every Educator Should Know” on Saturday, March 4, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., at the Port Angeles High School Student Center, 304 East Park Avenue. Registration is open to district parents, staff and community members.
Instructor Mike Paget offers five keys to working with students with “acting out” and “acting in” disorders. Studies show that approximately 20 percent of all students are diagnosable for a mental, emotional or behavioral health issue This training helps teachers, counselors and other professionals understand how to support and teach this high-potential portion of the student population while avoiding an unmanageable classroom environment.
- Recognize common misunderstandings educators sometimes have about these students
- Restructure traditional policies and practices that often fail with these students
- Implement Do’s and Don’ts for supporting these students with dignity and respect through:
- Assisting with organizational challenges
- Building an environment that minimizes perfectionism
- Controlling change, while helping students deal with it
- Create a climate that strikes a balance between challenge and support
- Helping smooth social interactions
- Reduce stigma and to create a respectful climate with a particularly challenging classroom situation
- Develop practical ways to prevent students from riding the mental health escalator
- Integrate other successful approaches to reach students with emotional, mental and behavioral challenges
Cost for participation is: $25 for Parents; $35 for Community Members; and $50 for non-PASD School Employees. Coffee and light refreshments will be provided. Lunch break will be one hour on your own.
Register in advance by filling out a registration form
and send it to Susan Helkey, Port Angeles School District, 216 East Fourth Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362.
If you have questions, please contact Brianne Barrett by phone at 360.565.3740 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional assistance, contact:
Communications and Community Relations Coordinator
Port Angeles School District